Compliment your Lifestyle…
When art meets exceptional control, strength and demand on your body…you have found yourself a dancer. Those who dance understand the physicality it takes to perform, not just big airy movements, but to hold tightly, motionless and with the form of a beautiful statue the complicated positions that tell a story displayed through the human body.
Due to the physicality of dance, a functional and more isolated strength, balance and conditioning program can help a dancer excel at their craft.
Below is a full-body gym workout program that you can integrate into your training program once or twice a week to compliment the practices you do in the studio and your performances on stage. It can be done as a circuit, or with 90 second rests between each set. Try mixing it up and doing both for the best results.
- Plié Squat w/Dumbbell to Calf raise – 10 to 15 reps x 3 sets.
- Release dumbbell after your last rep of each set and hold the squat position for 10 – 20 seconds.
- Power Switch Lunge – 30 to 45 seconds x 3 sets.
- Single Foot Toe Hops with Medicine Ball Overhead – 30 seconds on each foot x 3 sets.
- Remain on your toes and the ball of foot during the entire exercise to strengthen calves and arches.
- Single Foot Scaption – 10 to 15 reps x 3 sets.
- Single Foot Press – 10 to 15 reps x 3 sets.
- Bench Push ups – 15 to 20 reps x 3 sets.
- Chin-up Assist – 15 – 20 reps x 3 sets.
- Slow Russian Twist – Feet up advanced, feet down regressed 30 to 60 seconds x 3 sets.
- Go directly into V-ups for 30 to 60 seconds x 3 sets. Your V-ups should be explosive, but controlled.
Want to effortlessly follow our blog? CLICK HERE and we will show you how!