Barbell and Free Weights 101 – Legs
This major muscle group keeps you moving, and has the tenuous job of supporting your weight day-after-day. So help your body out and strength train your stems on regular basis. Try adding these barbell and free weight exercises to challenge your leg muscles, and there is an added bonus, too. These exercises are perfect for shaping, tightening and toning your legs and butt!
Make sure you read over the tips for each exercise first, and then get into LA Fitness and give them try!
TOP TIP – Choose an appropriate weight for your fitness level for each exercise. Be sure to start with a light or small amount of weight if you are uncertain about your strength and ability level, and make adjustments to increase the weight once you are comfortable with the exercise.
Barbell Lunge and Plate Lunge
- For BARBELL LUNGE, place the barbell so it sits comfortably across your upper back.
- For PLATE LUNGE, hold a free weight plate in each hand.
- Step forward until your back knee is an inch or two from the ground while keeping your torso upright and balanced.
- Push back up with your forward leg, into your starting position.
- Switch legs and repeat the process.
Barbell Squat and Plate Squat
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
- For BARBELL SQUATS, place the barbell so it sits comfortably across your upper back.
- For PLATE SQUATS hold a free weight place in front of your chest.
- Slowly lower your torso and bend at your knees as you maintain your posture and keep your head up.
- Go all the way down to a 90 degree angle; concentrate on pushing your body up and away from the ground.
Barbell Calf Raise and Plate Calf Raise
- For BARBELL CALF RAISE, place the barbell so it sits comfortably across your upper back.
- For PLATE CALF RAISE, hold a free weight plate in each hand.
- Raise your body up onto the balls of your feet lifting your heels off of the ground.
- Slowly lower your heels back to the ground.
Stay up to date with our 101 series as we release new exercises for each muscle group by following this link to subscribe to our blog updates and entering your email: http://blog.lafitness.com/join-our-community/