I am truly addicted to diet soda and don’t know how to quit…any suggestions? -Allison
Good for you that you recognize it’s time to give up the soda!
• Do it slowly. Don’t try to quit cold-turkey or you might experience withdrawal symptoms such as moodiness, headaches, irritability, and tiredness.
o Instead, reduce by one can/glass every 2-3 days so that you’re weaning off over a couple of weeks.
• Find another fix for your caffeine, such as iced or hot green tea.
• Drink water for hydration. Try it with lemon or cucumber.
• Get carbonation elsewhere, as in seltzer (also caffeine and sodium-free).
• Replace the soda ritual with something else soothing to you. Find something brief that is under 2 minutes. Now’s the time to try giving yourself a head massage!
• Readjust your thinking. Change your perspective about how diet soda fits into a healthy diet. Many people have the mentality that it’s acceptable because there are no calories.
– Debbie J., MS, RD
Do you have a question about your diet or nutrition? Ask our dietitian by submitting your question to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply ask it in the COMMENTS section below.
To learn how to follow the “Ask Our Dietitian” Q&A CLICK HERE!
Debbie James is a registered dietitian. Any views or opinions presented in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the opinions or recommendations of Fitness International, LLC.